Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Reason

Hello, my name is Matt Timmermann. I am currently a full time student in college, in Washington. At the beginning of the year I began training with a group called Team In Training (TNT). TNT is a part of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS). The purpose of LLS is to raise money for blood related cancer research and to help families battling blood related cancers.



An estimated 894,543 Americans are living with leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma.



When I first signed up, my main reason for being a part of TNT was to train for a triathlon. After hearing just a few of the experiences that cancer survivors had been through, my main reason for training became to help find a cure for cancer. The best way I can help at this stage in my life is to participate in TNT and raise funds for research.



The survival rates have improved significantly in the past 40 years, but it is still not enough, it is still not 100%. Even those who do survive have usually undergone a series of treatments that devastate their bodies and cause massive pain. That is why TNT keeps going, that is why month after month and year after year they keep raising money: so that one day cancer will not hinder us and the treatments will not be a test of endurance for survival.



Each individual team has an honored team member that they represent. Our honored team member is a 6 year old girl whose name is Megan. Megan has Accute Lymphocitic Leukemia, which is currently in remission. Sometimes when I think I cannot wake up and go to training or I cannot keep going during practices, I think about what people, like Megan, are going through with their treatments, and then my 'pain' does not seem so bad anymore.



On this page I will be keeping a record of my workouts and how my fundraising is going.



Please feel free to donate in support of finding a cure for cancer!



Thank you for your time and support,



Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment